Monday, December 2, 2013

8 Tips on Writing A Great Story

Let me begin with this **disclaimer**: I did not come up with this information. I take no credit whatsoever for the information I am about to provide; I am merely sharing with you what I came across that I saw was at the very least, somewhat interesting. And believe me, there's a lot of things I found online. That being said, here's another bit of what I've discovered:


8 Tips on How to Write a Great Story

  1. Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted.
  2. Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.
  3. Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.
  4. Every sentence must do one of two things- reveal character or advance the action.
  5. Start as close the the end as possible.
  6. Be a Sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them- in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
  7. Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia.
  8. Give your readers as information as possible. To hell with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages.



Okay, here's my take on these rules. The first one is kinda lame, but it's the way it is worded honestly. What it's trying to tell you is that when you write your book, make sure that the time someone has taken to read it does not feel wasted.
Rule two is pretty simple. Rule three, I'm not sure if I really agree with this, but I've never stopped to think if every character in a book did want something. I suppose they do, in a way. Even if it is a glass of water lol. 
Rule four, fairly self-explanatory. Rule five is a little hard to apply. Your instincts tell you to start at the beginning and go from there. Well this point is to start as close to the end as possible, and then either write backwards to the beginning or write the ending and then work your way back to the beginning.
Rule six is so right. You cannot be afraid to do some serious damage to any of your characters. Especially the main ones. Rule seven is worded so weirdly. The gist of it is simple tho. Only write for one person, like maybe yourself or someone you kno. If you feel like you have to write for everyone, and everyone has to like it, you won't get any where. So write for a simple few or a simple single, and write so they like it.
Rule eight... I, personally, disagree with. suspense is the whole point of writing! You're supposed to keep them guessing until the end. That's what keeps them reading every single page. And if it's part of a series, you need more suspense so they will read the next book. Crazy thinkin, these rules, but they aren't far off from what should be right tho. 

Hope you enjoyed them!


Currently reading:  Spellbound by Kodilynn Calhoun


No comments:

Post a Comment